Monday, June 6, 2011

Robbing me nicely

Today I heard a classic statement. The kind that captures so many meanings in an instant.

It came from a Ngaanyatjarra man, an artist, who has built a wonderful close relationship with the art centre manager. With that closeness also comes tension.

'Three Ways' (Surveyor-General's Corner) - border of NT, SA, WA
The art centres can be fantastic, vibrant places in each community. At the core of each, however, usually rests a few top quality artists that sustain the business.

Of course, there are many other factors in a sustainable remote creative enterprise, not least of which is a talented art centre manager.

This worker has to balance being the boss and the bossed around. After all, he or she is fundamentally the employee of the members of the art enterprise. At the same time, the manager is the 'expert' (as much as that is possible) in the whitefella world the enterprise is targetting.

They have to be assertive, patient, kind, compassionate and firm. And most important of all, friendly.

At the core of all good work in remote communities is relationships. Any multitude of cross-cultural hurdles can be jumped with a good relationship.

There will be inevitable misunderstandings. Especially when it comes to money. Explaining 'the money story' is a continuous, difficult process. It wears you down.

Conversations about money (on a personal, family, and enterprise level) all seem to engage the greatest potential for misunderstanding when interpreted from such different worldviews. The complexity of even the most simple things, like where the money goes, can be hard to explain.

Hence, the classic statement. You're robbing me nicely.

In this statement, I hear so many things:
  • The accusation. Where's my money? You must be holding onto it because I'm not getting enough.
  • The forgiveness. I like you. I'm still here with you, even though I think we're in trouble.
  • The test. Explain to me again why I'm not getting what seems right. What am I missing? (for I do trust you, even though I'm angry).
  • The relationship. If we weren't connected, I wouldn't need to even say this to you. I'd be chasing you with a stick instead!

Sadly, I also hear the risk. The real risk that perhaps the person is indeed using their knowledge against someone disadvantaged by their minority culture and second language. I have seen times when people working out in remote communities have been robbing the poorest. Nicely. Disarmingly genuine in appearance, yet full of deceit or a sense of entitlement owed for choices they have made (like choosing to live remote and accept a modest salary in exchange).

What sustains me is the knowledge that in every true partnership between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people, such as between this artist and art centre manager, there is trust and forgiveness on both sides. Which brings people along even when a shared understanding is not possible.

No comments: