Saturday, December 18, 2010

Living in a windtunnel

It's blustery outside. Huge gusts of wind buffet the house, sweeping Eleanor's toys steadily down to the vege patch, eventually hiding them under the enormous bushels of parsley and tomatoes thriving along the fenceline. Going outside to get the bone dry clothes clinging tenaciously to the line is like battling the elements in a 'do or die' adventure with the elements. Small piles of red sand collect on the house side of the window sills, unmistakeably asserting their right to be everywhere you don't want them to be.

One of the facts of life in Blackstone is that most days are spent in a windtunnel that is commonly known as the 'outdoors'. Without a doubt, Blackstone is the windy-est (sp?) place I've lived in. And I'm not a big fan of wind either. Of course, I didn't know this when we chose to come here. I just thought it was a windy day when we came for the interview. And then when we arrived. And unpacked. And started living here on a day-to-day basis. Over time, the realisation crept up. I'm living in a windtunnel.

40k east of Blackstone, on descent
It might be the nearby ranges that contributes to the overall wind effect. I should really know what the ranges are called, but I confess I do not. They are, however, one of the more beautiful features of the local landscape. Along with what I call 'the expanse', which is an open area covered only with spinifex grass that extends for about 1 k just out of town on the way west to Warburton. I mostly like to call it 'the expanse', because it sounds terribly snobbish and discordant to drive through this intense, harsh natural landscape (wrought with its own natural beauty) and opine 'oh what a beautiful expaaaanse' in my best private school voice. It reminds me of the extreme turns that my life has taken, but at the same time, I do genuinely admire how beautiful that spot is and why I love living here. While I know that this is and never will be 'my country', in the way that we can become incredibly attached to a little patch of land that we might own anywhere else in Australia, at a deeper level this landscape resonates within me in a way that makes little sense.

Why else, indeed, would I choose to live in a windtunnel?

No comments: