Monday, December 27, 2010

Too many peoples

The first thing Eleanor says when she hits town is invariably "too many peoples". As I scoot around at the family Christmas, finding small spaces to myself and thinking that I really should be playing instead with my nieces, I know why it's relatively easy for me to live remote.

Lots of people say, with conviction, "I could never do what you're doing" (although I suspect they could, but that's a different story). In fact, I enjoy the quiet life. I like the limited choices. Sure, it's great being able to go to the supermarket at 3am in the morning if you need to, but rarely is it absolutely necessary. And with a little pre-planning or judicious stocking, the boom and bust of a quarterly trip to town, the absence of convenience is hardly felt.

In our 24/7 convenience world, we have lost some of the skills of quiet life, filled with conversation, books, and family entertainment (although I do admit to watching a little too much TV to fill in some evening spaces!). Just the other day, I bought a book called 'Modern Parlour Games' for exactly this purpose, to re-enliven traditions and get more enjoyment out of the company of others instead of a flickering screen. I'll keep you posted on how we go.... the main trouble will be finding more 'peoples' to play with!

No comments: