Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Onions and apples for dinner

It's raining again. A bad sign. Scroll down a little in February posts and you'll see the photos of recent deluge in Warburton. While I'm not particularly concerned that this will happen again, the main concern is the truck.

Eleanor was (usefully) advising the shop assistant today: "It's stuck. The truck's stuck in the mud!" But he would know that only too well. The fruit and veg section of Warburton store has been decommissioned for the past 10 days or so, as there is no need to refrigerate an empty space. Instead, the apples and dates were stored in one of the emerging gaps up in the cheese and milk section. Yes, apples and dates. That's fresh fruit and veg for you.

Let's not forget the onions. I think they are probably classed as a vegetable. Root vegetable? (anyone know...) Having been parted not so long ago from the company of the potatos - now all sold - they sit forlornly in the dry goods section near the increasingly empty bread racks.

Eggs are gone. I bought my dozen a few days ago when one of the shop assistants kindly pointed out to me that while it looked like there were heaps of eggs, in fact they go through a whole fridge every four days. And that was the last of them. No truck.

I wondered if it was mostly the non-Indigneous staff who were hoarding the fruit and veg, which led to their sudden decline. I'm not sure. I find it odd that all the skim milk sold out pretty quickly too. And the canned apricots. But I noticed today that the chips have now entered an extremely bare patch. No more Smiths crisps. We're down to Burger Rings and a few corn chips. Perhaps fear of a chip shortage has led to hoarding too?

Notwithstanding the slim pickings on offer, I calculated that with the one potato, two slices of pumpkin, 4 apples, frozen peas and frozen spinach in my fridge, combined with some staples (like pasta, canned toms, fetta, and beans) I have enough well balanced and reasonably healthy meals to see us through to the weekend.

But it's raining. And the truck is stuck. Stuck in the mud maybe not, but definitely stuck. And so are we.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

What a great blogg you are doing. Sounds like healthy eating might be a little challenging ;-)
Take care XO

Madeleine said...

I'm enjoying reading your blog posts as it reminds me of my time living in Blackstone. Thanks!
Madeleine (ex art centre coordinator!)