Friday, February 25, 2011

Small world

I did a Skype presentation today to a group of social work students at Griffith Uni. I think the novelty of having someone so remote means that my name sticks in the minds of lecturers. Hence the invite. I promptly co-opted my colleague (and former social work placement supervisor), Rosalie into it as well. Just for company.

Plus, really, Rosalie is more deserving of this request, being almost an institution out on the Lands. She's been here seven years now, and set up the Department's permanent presence on the Lands. I was musing the other day that she defines for community members what a social worker is and does, based on who she is and how she chooses to act (or not, if the case warrants). She's also been recognised for her work, having won the WA Social Worker of the year last year. She's embarrassed to have it referred to all the time, but I think it's worth the accolade being mentioned every now and again!

As we Skyped away, all going to plan, Rosalie made mention of how the IT infrastructure on the Lands was not available to a former social work student she supervised. My inability to access the internet the past few weeks has also sheeted home to me how different Warburton is now to a few years ago. One memorable week in 2007, I was stuck up in the roadhouse. Mobiles of no use (no reception). A dodgy satellite phone, hideously expensive in any case. No internet access. A battered old Telstra public phone, sitting above a broken old chair at the back of the roadhouse laundry, my only connection to anyone outside Warburton. It was a very isolating week, and I was glad when it was over.

Now, back again in Warburton. My trusty little pink Samsung mobile works. There's a community access wireless internet service available (strongest reception near the shop). ADSL broadband if you can get a laptop and wireless broadband token. I'm still working off a pretty slow laptop that I've borrowed but, importantly, I am now connected. The world suddenly becomes smaller and for that I'm thankful.

No comments: