Saturday, January 22, 2011

That's my naapa (thing)

The house was starting to overflow with Eleanor's toys. With Christmas, a recent birthday and bursts of unnecessary purchasing on my part, new areas of the house were being colonised by multi-coloured plastic and wood in various permutations. I'm a bit of a neat freak. I also remember the 'pre-kid' days, entering houses of people with young toddlers and making slow work picking a safe path along the floor. As a result, I tend to spend a little time every day doing a small clean and organise. The toys, however, had got beyond that level of organisation. I did a big pack up and removed half of them from the living areas. They are now precariously perched on the top shelf of the study cupboard.

This constant need to manage our ever burgeoning pile of possessions has prompted a few thoughts of contrast with the toddler-life of the locals. Just yesterday I was struck yet again by a common response to possessive behaviour by Eleanor. While in the clinic at Pipalyatjara, visiting some clients, Eleanor saw their niece playing with her 'black baby' doll (a 2009 Christmas present from Blackstone Community). "Miiiiine, my black baby!!" she cried, immediately rushing to get it. The father present replied in an instant, "it's mine, my baby", smiling in claim. Eleanor looked taken aback, worried, clutching the doll closer. "Mine". "My baby", he replied, gesturing to hand it over, smiling still. Eleanor took the baby away for safe keeping. The irony of Eleanor taking a little black baby away didn't escape me.

This response is very common. Whereas we tend to rush in and reassure Eleanor that something is indeed hers, or negotiate with diplomatic tact of international quality when fights break out between cousins and (Western) friends, I have never heard local community members say anything close to the following: "How about you let Eleanor play with it for a little bit, then we'll play with it after... don't worry, it's yours, it lives here". There is one community member who calls out to Eleanor everytime she sees her at the shop, "my car Eleanor, my car." Eleanor will fall for it everytime. "No, Marcia, that's your car there." "My car, give me the keys", gently chiding her possessiveness. "No, it's oooour white car, ours". Then she'll turn tail and head into the shop, every step a righteous one.

I do not claim to know much about Aboriginal parenting styles and cultural values, but these little exchanges do regularly remind me of the constant value placed on sharing and common ownership. From the earliest attempts to assert individuality, little kids are encouraged to think about others around them. Our family - without even a thought to what we are doing - reinforce our possessive, accumulative inclinations. Without a thought too, no doubt, the community members reinforce common wealth in the family. Neither is better, just different. Deeply embedded in our world view, lasting well beyond the period of childhood amnesia. Mine. No, mine.

2 comments:

Rocky Spry said...

I understand exactly what you mean when you talk of the constant management of the toy collection/possessions in general and the difference between indigenous culture and western culture. Being the second day back at work I thought taking a big box of toys for the arts workers kids to play with was a great way of managing our ever growing toy collection. Initially my little boy was very possessive being so upset at the thought that mummy wanted him to share this big blue box of plastic goodies with just one other little girl. There were a few tears and the box being dragged out of the studio and back into mummy's office safely behind the baby safety gate which was promptly swung shut. Tarquin's little way of saying 'Mine' It didn't take long though for the numbers of indigenous kids to quickly out number the one little white boy and a bit of distraction from mummy while dragging the box out again meant all the kids dived in and began playing together. I think the older kids ability to build towers was quite impressive and Tarquin was quite eager to join in and almost forgot about his possessiveness. The little match box cars that he had been clutching onto did cause a bit of a problem. Being popular everyone wanted to play with them and I could hear Tarquin's distress as they slowly dispersed. Perhaps he knew their fate for as I was sweeping up all the toys at the end of the day they were the only little ones that had gone 'walk about.' At least they are being enjoyed by some little boys in the desert and no doubt will be well shared.

Unknown said...

I have been thinking a lot about this lately. Not necessarily around children but more around the American Indigenous concept of being 'caretakers' rather than 'owners'. Certainly a concept that appears to be largely missing in Western culture.